WENDY MCBRIDE asked on January 8, 2013. Status: Answered & Closed.
Consent.exe Keeps Hanging
» This is the only one no matter ho many times I restart that consent.exe hangs. Cannot restart in any of the safe modes, when I try computer just restarts. I have tried both my admin account, and a standard user account, same problems. Can boot from windows DVD and get command prompt there. Can get to standard command prompt. Went through msconfig and disabled all non-microsoft services/programs, same problems.
The vulnerabilities of the files with .dll, .exe and .sys extensions can be exploited by virus/malware (such as VirTool:MSIL/Injector.EC) to perform illegal purpose, and that is one of the main reasons of computer problems. Instead of copying in any additional files, the malware tends to modify existing files - typically an "exe" or "dll" file - and re-write it to include the malware's own code. The infected system file would inevitably be removed or quarantined by anti-malware programs, leading to the abnormal operation of the system. Therefore, you need to fix this kind of situations by recovering the mistakenly handled exe files or other dll files.
Since it’s far from an easy task to finish, Here is a simple solution: DLL Suite, which allows you to download the most up to date version of any kind of dll files including rundll32.exe (DLL is comprised of the files with .dll, .exe, .sys, .drv and .fon extensions).
DLL Suite is built to deal with it by three built-in features: fixing exe virus infection, sys file errors and dll file problems.
RONALD FRYE replied on January 15, 2013
- LUKE REYNOLDS replied on January 9, 2013: » Method 1: Perform SFC(System File Checker) scan and see if the issue occurs.
Method 2: Create a new user account and check if the issue persists, if the Issue does not persist in new user account then you can fix the corrupted user account.
- MARGARET COLSON replied on January 9, 2013: » Is that the message you get, consent.exe hang and then your computer locks up? You are right as far as looking this message up and it being associated to malware/virus.
I would try a repair installation since you have the installation dvd. But I would also run a couple other malware removal programs and even antivirus, just to be sure.
Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as consent.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the consent.exe process on your pc whether it is pest.
- WENDY MCBRIDE replied on January 10, 2013: » The Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. message is what I get after running the sfc /scannow. I have tried repair install, last known configuration, and all the other normal tricks.
I have ran Security Essentials, Maleware Megabytes, Avast, Avira, and now SUPERAntiSpyware. Nothing is being found, so I think it has to be something else. I think MS needs to have an update or patch to replace the consent.exe.
Consent.exe only hangs at random times when running programs as an Administrator. I only find two consent.exe, both are in normal places, and seem to be correct, but I have no way to really verify.
- LINDA JAGELS replied on January 11, 2013: » Same result PC just restarts. Now when I have my Windows DVD in and boot from it, and press F8 I get into safe mode, restore, but none of the options there works.
- WENDY MCBRIDE replied on January 11, 2013: » I finally got consent.exe from hanging. I signed up for a technet subscription, downloaded the the Win7 64 Bit SP1, and performed an Upgrade install.
Even though I took ownership of the drives, I was have all sorts of security errors, because I didn't know about the child permission options.
Everything seems to be working thus far.
Except I still cannot boot into safe mode. Not too worried about that though.
DLL Q & A you might like:
- AUDIODG.EXE High Cpu Usage On NEW Computer »
- Cannot Find Regsvr.exe At Windows Startup »
- Csrss.exe File Is Missing »
- Trying to Install A Program Opens Gadget.exe »
- Windows Cannot Find C:\WINDOWS\System32\Rundll32.exe »
- How To Fix BCHelper.exe Missing Sqlite3.dll »
- 3 ways DLL Suite can fix your Windows missing DLL file error »
- DLL fix tool to repair DLL problems for your Windows PCs »